ALRED EDWIN (Eddie) ARNOLD
1898 - 2005
Eddie Arnold was born in Toronto in 1898. His long association with heavy horses started in 1918. He established the Croydon prefix in 1923 and this was synonymous with quality Clydesdales for over 60 years. Eddie was a strong supporter of the small local shows and often walked the horses to the shows in the early years. For several years he showed on the Western Canada show circuit and travelled between the cities on the train.
Eddie showed at the Royal Winter fair in Toronto for forty years, up to 1984. That year Torrs Reformer, a colt Eddie had purchased at the 1983 Highland show in Scotland, was junior champion and reserve grand champion. Many times at the Royal his Croydon Clydesdale horses won the award for the best Canadian bred, born and raised.
Eddie was a much sought after judge, and he judged many shows across the continent. He was a great influence on many breeders and show people, and was always willing to pass on his considerable knowledge of the Clydesdale horse. In particular he was very obliging and encouraging to the youth in the industry. If you were interested and listened he would take the time to educate you.
Eddie was a director of the Manitoba Clydesdale Club for 40 years and also served as president. He was director of the Clydesdale Horse Association of Canada for 28 years and was president twice during this period. He was a long time member of the Manitoba Horse breeders and the Shoal Lake Agriculture Society. For many years he was on the Manitoba Heavy Horse Selection Committee for the Royal Winter Fair. In 1984 Eddie was inducted into the Manitoba Agricultural Hall of Fame for the many contributions to Agriculture in Manitoba. In 1992 he was conferred Canada’s Commemorative Medal for significant contribution to compatriots, community and Canada.
As a breeder of champion Clydesdales, Eddie brought many awards to his farm and honor to his home town and province. What best characterized him was his willingness to advise and encourage others in the Clydesdale industry.